Our days start early in the morning as soon as the gates open. Our car is packed with tea, coffee, rusks and biscuits to last us until breakfast. We drive with our windows open, filling our lungs with the wonderful fresh air of the bush. My shoulders relax, my neck loses its tension, and I always give a big sigh leaving the gate. Our eyes are peeled either side for any movement that signals an animal sighting. There is always such an anticipation of what we will spot. Nothing is ever the same and each sighting gives us another story to tell.
When our children were younger, we would have a competition in the car of animal spotting. Our children are adults now, and when we all manage those rare moments to have a special holiday in the bush together, our game always resurfaces.
At about 10 am everyone starts referring to breakfast. We head to our picnic spot that we would have chosen the night before around the braai (BBQ). Picnic spots are not coincidences, they are carefully planned. If we are there with friends or our children, we always take turns making breakfast, so it’s always a nice surprise when it’s not your turn. One can only have so many English breakfasts, so this is one Steve and I often choose to cook.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do……… all that’s missing though is the African bush!
Italian Baked Eggs
- 8tbl flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 12 eggs
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- olive oil
- 2 cup black olives, stoned & halved
- 4tbl sugar
- 8tbl fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 2 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 yellow peppers, seeded & diced
- 1kg Italian sausage, sliced
- 4tbl dried oregano
- 2tbl dried basil
- 8tbl olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tins Italian tomatoes, diced
- 2tsp salt
- Step 1 Heat oil over medium heat on the Manchurian plate of your Weber.
- Step 2 Fry the onions, peppers and sausages until browned.
- Step 3 Add all remaining ingredients, except the eggs, feta, parsley and basil.
- Step 4 Cook and then reduce, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Step 5 If too thick, add some water to the consisency you wish.
- Step 6 Season to taste.
- Step 7 Break eggs carefully in sauce, cover with foil and cook until eggs are ready.
- Step 8 Sprinkle with crumbled feta, fresh parsley and basil.