TABLE MEMORIES RECIPES
table memories recipes
FRENCH TARTS WITH CRÈME PATISSERIE
AND SEASONAL FRUIT
For the pastry:
250g cake flour
pinch of salt
100g icing sugar
100g butter, chilled
For the crème patissiere:
6 egg yolks
80g castor sugar
5ml vanilla essence
To make the pastry:
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Sift dry ingredients together, then rub in the butter into dry ingredients until it is evenly distributed.
- Beat the egg and add to the mixture.
- Work the egg in by hand until a soft dough is formed.
- If dough is too dry add a little chilled water.
- Wrap dough in cling-wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface to about 2ml thickness.
- Line the prepared tart tins with the pastry and press down gently. Make sure you go right into the corners. Trim off the excess dough and refrigerate before baking.
- Place sheet of greaseproof paper over the pastry and fill with dried beans/rice and bake until pastry is set and lightly browned. Plus minus 15 mins.
- Remove paper and beans and allow pastry to cool before filling.
To make the filling:
- Place milk and vanilla in saucepan and bring to the boil.
- In a bowl whisk egg yolks, flour and sugar until thick, then add in a little hot milk and whisk and repeat the process.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until thickened the remove from heat.
- Cover with cling-wrap while cooling to prevent a skin form forming.
To assemble the tart:
- Fill pastry case with custard and smooth over the top.